A while ago, Facebook had a tag-fest, wherein, if you were “tagged” by someone who posted their own list of “25 Random Things About Me…,” you were then supposed to post your own. I was talking to an acquaintance a couple weeks ago, and something came up in conversation that reminded me of one of the 25 things I wrote about myself.
Here’s my list. I’ll leave it to you to figure out which one of these came up in conversation…
1. I am 98% sure I would sell 98% of my stuff so I could spend my remaining days traveling the world.
2. I am only truly warm if I am on the beach. Otherwise, I’m always cold.
3. I think shoes make the outfit. And I love heels, which is odd, because where I live, I have no where to wear them. I still buy them, though; I am the Imelda Marcos of my tiny town.
4. I have no favorite food, just certain foods that go with certain experiences or emotions. I don’t prefer salty or sweet, but I have an affinity for dark chocolate. I am currently infatuated with dark chocolate with chilis and dark chocolate with sea salt.
5. Exercise is one way I keep my sanity. I can think or not think when I am exercising. However, I get bored easily by doing one kind of exercise over and over. I have to keep changing to challenge myself.
6. I absolutely LOVE to read. I can only sit still if I am deep in the middle of a book. Otherwise, I am antsy. Even if I’m watching TV, I have to have a book or magazine in my hands. It drives my kids crazy that I do that.
7. I love homeschooling my kids because I get to really be with them all day long. It can also drive me mad to be with them all day long, but all things considered, I am so blessed to know them as intimately as I do.
8. My taste in music is pretty eclectic. I like everything from Puccini to TobyMac to Etta James to U2 to the Fratellis. But my all-time favorite piece of music is Claire de Lune by Debussy.
9. I am a fan of Milton Friedman.
10. I cry when I am sad, scared, happy, watching Braveheart, a Hallmark commercial, or even listening to the Star Spangled Banner.
11. My real name is Nikki and I used to run the Treadstone ops in Paris.
12. I used to envision that I would grow up to be a writer. I am working on that habit every day so that I still can be.
13. A great day for me would include Crescent Beach on Siesta Key, a run at sunrise, a walk at sunset, a book, and a margarita.
14. I have known too many people that have died way too early.
15. I think the Beatles are the best band ever.
16. My strategery for overcoming my shyness is to find the one person who looks lonelier/more uncomfortable/quieter than me, and ask them a bunch of questions.
17. I love college football. This is a remnant from being an only child and a girl. My dad needed someone who would cheer for his beloved Buckeyes so that was me. Incidentally, I would just once like to be on the defensive line so I could knock the snot out of someone!
18. I have seen and experienced too much to ever doubt God’s existence. I have seen and felt His provision, grace, compassion, faithfulness, and love more than I have ever not felt it. He is real, and He is good, and I wish everyone knew Him like I do.
19. I like order and organization, but have realized that there are far more important things in life to spend my time concerned about.
20. I’ve kissed the Blarney Stone, been in a death spiral in an airplane, picked up a hitchhiker in a foreign country, and been on scavenger hunt in a national park. I think I would make an excellent contestant on The Amazing Race.
21. I robbed the cradle when I married my husband. He is 3 1/2 years younger than me, but when I met him, he was more mature than anyone I had dated. He is still my best friend after almost 22 years of marriage. He gets me, puts up with me, and still loves me.
22. The part of aging I enjoy most is feeling confident about my strengths and okay with my weaknesses. The part I don’t like is feeling that I should still be able to do things my knees or shoulders won’t let me.
23. Unless I am horribly sick, I am unable to take naps, and I’m almost never sick.
24. I love laughing. Unfortunately, I always laugh when someone falls, so I look like a very callous individual. Actually, I’m very compassionate, but I’ll laugh before I help you. Sorry.
25. Morning is my favorite time of day. Not only do I get a lot accomplished, but I love the warm, sleepy hugs each of my family gives me as they wake up. It always starts my day off right.